Search This Blog

Friday, July 26, 2013

Modern Art Bullshit

I can't stand it anymore. I gotta say it. Most modern art, or a lot of it, is crap. There. Yeah, yeah, yeah, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But grammar is grammar, and logic is logic. And what those soulless, talentless hacks write about their work makes no sense. Oh, your sculpture looks like a rock you picked up out of a river so it must mean you have deep thoughts that are impossible to put into words? Bullshit. Or it looks like some caveman drawing (which were better than modern art) or because it's a simple form with no features, it says something a real piece of art wouldn't have? Bullshit.

I won't be surprised by insulting, angry comments on this article or of my own work, but believe me, I'm a much worse critic of my own work than anyone else. I like some abstract or simple forms. Some of them mesmerize me and I can't help but stare at them. Some of them, on the other hand, make me want to say what I said above. This just may be a "beauty in the eye of the beholder" thing and nothing more. Maybe other people, maybe even most people (and not surprising that I'm not like most people) like the art that doesn't look like art. But if you told me you would rather have a sculpture of a rock that looks like it was just found that way over a Michelangelo or a Bernini, I would say, "Bullshit."

Getting back to the bullshit they say about their own work or their experience; I don't care. You shouldn't have to explain your work. I don't even like giving a title to mine. But sometimes a title brings it all together, and I like that. What inspired this article (or venting) was an artist who sculpts stone, but you can hardly tell they are sculpted, or they look like beginner stuff. He studied in Italy. And he creates crap. I guess people are fooled by, "I studied in Italy under a master." I don't get it. If you study under a master, it better damn well look like it. You shouldn't have to tell me.

I love writing, I hate writing about art. Art should speak for itself. I remember writing a paper in college on the Laocoon. I had to just fill it with filler. Just look at the sculpture.
Or go look for a better picture of it and look at it. That is an awesome sculpture. You can see the snakes winning. You can see them constricting and the struggle of the man and his boys, and the look on his face, knowing he's in trouble and he would do anything to save his sons. But you want a sculpture of a rock that looks like you just found it? Bullshit. I guarantee you the unknown sculptor of this didn't write a page of bullshit explaining his sculpture.

I know people make the illogical jump to thinking I must think my art work is the best out there. No, I don't. But it looks like something and it takes some skill to do it. It takes very little skill to take a rock and make a smaller rock. I think those people should talk more about marketing, because that's what they are really good at. They are the type of people that could sell a snowball to an Eskimo.

I'll end with this: Arggghh. Be a pirate.

No comments:

Post a Comment