Search This Blog

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Russian Sculpture Artist and Russia and Stuff

I got bored with seeing the same ol' photos on Google every time I searched for photos of marble sculpture. I get quite a few readers from Russia so I thought I would see what's going on over there. I found this guy:
http://www.sculptureinrussia.com/en/painters/13.htm
He did this sculpture and relates to my last post on modern art. (this photo is also on the page linked above)
Here's a good example of a simple form done right. It's supposed to look primitive. The lines all go where they should. This does not look like somebody was trying to do a realistic torso and failed. No part jumps out at me screaming "I'm in the wrong place!" or "I shouldn't even be here!" This is one of those simple forms you can look at and feel all is well.

Hats off to all you Russian artists. Always wanted to go there, even during the 80's when we were supposed to hate each other. I remember high school classmates whose number one fear was that the USSR was going to nuke us. I was like, "No way, people over there don't want to nuke us anymore than we want to nuke them." I was right. Ha. And Russian women are the most beautiful in the world, except for maybe Montana.

I met a Russian in the late 80's in Reno, Nevada at a live show. He was sitting next to me at anther table. He introduced himself and asked what we did for a living. I told him we worked in a lumber mill. He asked what we did there and something about a high position because I said, "No, we're just workers, lowly workers." He said no one would believe him that a couple of mill workers could afford to go to a such an opulent place to see a show. I said I'd have to come over and see him then. Still haven't gotten over there.  Now meeting Russians is common. There are quite a few here in Missoula. Russian immigrants here have a bad reputation. Every one of them I have met and have been very nice. I think the bad reputation is a hold over from when we were supposed to hate Russians, so now people still make up reasons why they were supposed to hate. As far as I'm concerned you're welcome here, and I still hope to get over there someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment