Search This Blog

Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Making of an Angel Sculpture

Here is a video of still pictures taken of the process of sculpting an angel. She is about 3 feet tall. I didn't think to start taking pictures till I started sculpting, so it doesn't show the making of the armature. The armature was 1/4 inch steel rods welded together and covered with newspaper, aluminum foil and tape. I had to do some modifying of the armature, which you will see in the video. I used the foil over the paper so that when I was done I wouldn't be picking pieces of paper off my oil based clay. I was picking pieces of foil instead. Use thick foil if you do this. It wasn't bad though, not as bad as the paper alone would have been.

Some thoughts on sculpting. To be precise when sculpting the human form it's best to sculpt it nude. Get everything right. The thing is, you aren't going to actually add clothing. You are going to add folds and wrinkles where they lay on the body, and if the body isn't right, your clothes are going to look like they are laying on a deformed body. I added nipples, even though I knew they wouldn't show when finished. They were reference points. It's hard to judge how and where something should be round with no reference point on it. Some people use lines. I've tried that and my lines just get demolished. I fail to see how a lump of clay is erotic anyway. So if you are easily offended by bare clay, you might not want to watch this video. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GlU18gEdMI&feature=plcp

2 comments:

  1. Hello Clay Workman,

    I came upon your site searching for reviews on La Doll Stone Clay. You have an extraordinary talent. What a truly inspiring journal of photos. Thanks so much for sharing your project in this way. As a retired Commercial Art Director, this is a media that I've never really taken an interest in. In fact the last time I even dabbled in sculpting was back at the Art Institute in the late 70's ..a lifetime ago. But I think you may have just changed that. Time to explore new horizons. We only pass though this life once, right?

    And now to read more about *you*.

    Thanks again for the huge dose of inspiration!
    Barb N

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love art and crafting most. That is the best model in fact I do make clay models from images which is used for various occasion and also as a personalized gift.

    ReplyDelete